Window Washer Electrocuted in Huntington Beach this morning

Stephen-ELGCO

New member
Just came acroos this from another industry friend and thought I should share.


.content-nav a{color:#2262CC;margin:0 3px;}Crime | Government | Medical marijuana | Education | Prop 8 | Traffic | Westside
L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in


« Previous | L.A. NOW Home | Next »
Window washer electrocuted in Huntington Beach

Comments (1)

(40)


(25)



March 29, 2011 | 10:04 am


A man washing windows at a Huntington Beach medical office building was electrocuted Tuesday morning when he accidentally touched overhead power lines with a metal pole, fire officials said.
The man was using a brush on a long extension pole with a water hose attachment to clean the windows of a three-story building on the 17700 block of Beach Boulevard about 6:30 a.m. Tuesday, officials said. He was trying to work around a tree when the pole came in contact with the power lines.
"It immediately electrocuted and killed him on the spot," said Jeff Lopez, deputy fire marshal for the Huntington Beach Fire Department.
Firefighters found the man's body on the sidewalk, his clothing burned.
His name was not released because his family had not yet been notified.
As a precaution, authorities briefly evacuated the building and cut off power to the surrounding area.







Just a friendly reminder to watch yourselves around high voltage lines as well as standard home wiring. Can't be too careful nowadays.
 

Kory

Member
Was this because it was a metal pole? Would this have happened with a fiberglass or another kind of pole?
 

Thad

WCR Sales & Founder PWRA
It was a Tucker Pole- aluminum.
Fiberglass won't conduct electricity but carbon fiber will.
 

Christopher

Moderator
That is such a shame that someone died.

I have seen numerous pictures of electrocutions when working at the refinery and each time someone had died we got more training on electricity and safe working near power lines.

I am sure that when guys buy poles for pressure washing, window cleaning or tree trimming there are warnings listed on the poles, in the boxes and possibly a verbal warning. I think that showing a video of safe usage along with another warning on use that keeps them away from power lines would be a good idea. I don't think that showing them pictures of dead people from accidents would be a good idea but for a supplier to keep a few on hand in case people are not aware of the danger or don't believe what electricity can do to you.
 

mistersqueegee

New member
I wouldn't even want to touch power lines with a fiberglass pole. While the fiberglass is non conductive the pole has clamps with metal parts in it so there is a chance that the electricity could jump along the pole thru them.
 

mistersqueegee

New member
My suggestion would be to ask local electricians and utility companies about how far the voltages in power lines can jump. If you have a fiberglass pole you might be safer but I wouldn't take that risk. Power lines should be covered by the power company before you work near them.
 

apple

Moderator
I checked into having lines covered here last summer and was told they wouldn't do it because it isn't 100% effective. That was all I needed to hear. I passed on what would've been a really cool job. Another company did it though.
 

Ron Musgraves

Exterior Restoration Specialist
Staff member
I checked into having lines covered here last summer and was told they wouldn't do it because it isn't 100% effective. That was all I needed to hear. I passed on what would've been a really cool job. Another company did it though.

Can't do it all, better safe than dead


Text me anytime for question 480-522-5227
 

jreedpw

New member
Is the cables going into the house and around the meter safe to wash around or should you stay away from them too?
 

WASH-IT H.B.

New member
having been an electrician last millennium there was an old maxim that we worked to and that was "Water and electricity don't mix" period under any circumstances no matter what you poles are made out of. If there is electricity overhead or any where for that matter and you are introducing water in any way be prepared for trouble and possible death.
 
Top